Why Mulching is so Important to a Landscape
Mulching your landscape beds is very important for multiple reasons. Depending on your landscape goals. The main benefit mulching does to a landscape is help keep down maintenance. At Spinniken we are big fans of low maintenance beautiful landscapes.
Mulching Cuts Down on Maintenance
- You will have to hand weed less often! Suppressing weeds is enough of a reason to mulch in of itself.
- You do not need to water as much. Mulch helps retain moisture.
- You will see less disease and stress on your plants because of the benefits of mulch.
Mulch looks so good in a Landscape
Mulch provides that finishing touch that sets the landscape beds off. The contrast between the dark mulch and the bright green grass with a nice spaded edge is a pillar of most beautiful landscapes in Leelanau County.
What Type of Mulch Should I Use?
At Spinniken we primarily use either a dark Hardwood Bark ground from local Leelanau County trees by Deering Tree Service. Or we use Pine Bark which is also a dark mulch and my personal favorite. Pine bark comes at a slight up-charge and is slightly darker than Hardwood.
How Should Mulch be Installed?
- Mulch should be maintained at a level of 2’’ to 4’’.
- A weed barrier is not recommended
- it is important that mulch is installed a few inches away from all plant trunks and stems. Mulching too close to plants can stress the plant or even cause it to ground layer itself.
- Mulch needs to be installed evenly and cleanly. At the end of each mulching job, there should be no mulch on the house, on hardscapes, or in lawn areas.